Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The Doctor Who Googled

Hold on to your Namenda! Watch your Aricept! Replace your Excelon Patch! This just in! I went to a new ALZ Physician this week. We began with the usual drills, counting backward by sevens, recall of objects and pictures and colors. I began to feel as if there was no hope, when my new physician began telling me all about myself. He had Googled me, and he was reviewing my achievements in business, my interest in birds, and all the other things one can find on the internet. It was a simple thing to do, but no one had ever done this to me. It was almost as if I was being treated like a person, rather than a patient. While it may not matter with regard to my disease process, it surely affected my mental state, and it gave me a strong shot of hope to be able to have a human interaction with my doctor, rather than a clinical description of my (possibly) gently declining condition. I recommend to anyone this simple "Google test" before any visit to the doctor. Another victory for the consumer, courtesy of a smart physician!

No comments:

Post a Comment