Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The ALZ nether world

I function. It's not pretty, but I function. I work-around. I play the odds. If I think I am repeating myself, I try to cover. I use probability. I watch for subtle cues that people are becoming uncomfortable, I try to stay in a kind of neutral zone, vague, yes, sometimes, but not so noticeable for the most part. I definitely try to scope out ahead of time, when it is possible...review the names of people I am likely to encounter, have a little talk with my wife ahead of time, remember that everyone f**cks-up some times. Some days are better than others.The fog rolls in, but it usually burns off. A guilty pleasure is watching so-called "normal acuities" mess up. Any port in a storm, right? On the other hand, I love it when I see someone struggling, and I can be of unobtrusive help. The more you look, the more you see. Cognition is dynamic. Remaining open to input at a low level of attention-getting creates space to learn, help, and hopefully, laugh. There is no fun in the sad-face. Often times, we all have a way to help one another, not just in the ALZ world, but everywhere. I'm in for the longest haul I can handle. My organism wants me around, and I got no beef with that!

No comments:

Post a Comment