Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Painful Miscommunication

Apparently, it's all about me. Self-centeredness can cause male pattern baldness, shingles, bad breath and extraordinary stupidity. I've always been self centered, and usually I can mask it when necessary, but in this case, I will have to throw myself on the mercy of the court. When people become aware of my Alz diagnosis, they are saddened, and often write or call to express support and sympathy with my new-found difficulty. I am always grateful and I take to heart these expressions of support.
So imagine my chagrin when I realized that I had horribly mis-read an expression of support from a dear colleague. She had somehow become aware of my relatively new-found status as an Alz diagnosed person, and of course I assumed that she was referring to her diagnosis, and not mine. AWKWARD!!! She has no diagnosis, and does not plan on acquiring one!
She set me straight, thankfully, and clarified the situation in the most generous way...the only real damage is the usual problem with communication when sensitive subjects arise...but as an ALZ person, I have gotten beyond that. I am completely "out" with this, although I am respectful of those who have not made that decision or those who think it unseemly.

No comments:

Post a Comment